Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Hello Rivulon

Today, I was fortunate to attend the ground breaking for the new Rivulon development project in Gilbert.



According to their site: 

" Rivulon is a 250-acre mixed-use development located at the corner of Gilbert Road and the AZ 202. The premier business district will include approximately 3 million square feet of Class A office, 500,000 square feet of retail, and hotels. Rivulon will be designed with a holistic view of the site, ensuring a cohesive flow, compatibility of uses and sensitivity to the sustainability of resources."

This event and the development project itself is a major deal for the town of Gilbert. Rivulon will bring new jobs to the town and boost the town's economy. The $75 million dollar investment would not have come to fruition without the collaborative efforts between state and local government and the public sector and those involved were in attendance to celebrate the construction of this enormous project. I met real estate and business investors, business owners, state and local officials, and industry professionals. 

Since I'm a self-proclaimed introvert, I challenged myself to move outside my comfort zone and meet new people. My boss, Leah Hubbard, is the perfect example of a networking goddess. I observed her closely to pick the following networking tips: 
  1.  Introduce yourself with a warm smile and firm handshake
  2. "Advocate"/Promote yourself-first appearances are important
  3. When introducing someone make sure to quickly list one of their accomplishments. Ex: "Have you met (name), she/he is (xxxx) and they did ( list accomplishments). 
  4. Work the room. Make sure to give ample time to each conversation and then move on to the next group
  5. Listen to what people have to say about themselves and tease out their qualifications and strengths. People love talking about themselves :D
  6. Connect, Connect, Connect. Connect people who might have similar interest. You never know if that connection could lead to something bigger
  7. Ask for business card. ( I sometimes forget this) Also, bring a few of your own.
  8.  Follow up the next day to say you've enjoyed meeting them and hopefully work together soon.



5 comments:

  1. Hi, Brooke
    I definitely admires this $75 million RIVULON Development Project event in Gilbert City you have attended, I think this is one of the important events to watch and learn from. I wish I was there also to see and learn how this public project is being launched for community development in the city and how the experts of various fields collaborate their efforts for major development. I'm sure you have learned a lot in that event of real world workers or developers, organizers, speakers, and policy makers from different levels of government, and business investors. Good job!..Brooke keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,
    The RIVULON Development Project sounds like a lot of fun, and you learned a lot from the experience. It is good the you are learning to come out of you comfort zone!
    Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a cool project. Thanks for the networking tips! Those always help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Smokes, that food looks amazing (either that or I am starving). I think that your boss is absolutely correct! This is one of the techniques that I use. I also meet different professionals in Phoenix, and do career interviews. That is a great way to meet different people in the business sector, and they typically introduce me to their connections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds awesome! Definitely a cool place to be to meet people. Way to get out and do that.

    ReplyDelete