Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Election Day!




Election Day! The superbowl for political science nerds! Everyone has a team they are rooting to win on every level of government, but sadly only one team can be victorious in our democratic system. The talking heads will be abuzz for weeks over the winners and loser, the influence the election will have on future policy, and analysis of voter turn out. The winners will tout their victory while the loser will grumble and look for brighter days saying, "We'll come back in two years, just you wait..." Either way, it's an exciting time for America when most people are influenced by politics now more than previous generations. I was reading an article on NPR stating politics is the most divisive aspect of contemporary American society. What is Really Tearing America Apart: Politics. Pretty interesting read.

Interestingly enough, my tribal government did not have their election yesterday. The Navajo Nation decided to postpone their election for Navajo Nation president since one of the candidates was disqualified from the race due to the Navajo language fluency requirement. My nation is currently split between those who feel our language is vital to tribal government and Navajo culture and those who feel in today's society business and political knowledge is more important than language. There is now a clear divide between traditionalist, who compose most of the older Navajo speaking generation, and progressives, who are the younger non-Navajo speaking generation. Many young people feel that this election turmoil sends a clear message that if you don't speak the language than you're not considered a true Navajo. When only 30% of the population speaks Navajo fluently it doesn't seem that this debate will end any time soon.

Anyway, I've been working a new project concerning Design Review Boards and creating a Gantt Chart for the Human Needs Assessment Project. Gantt Charts are a lot of fun and if you're interested in project management its a valuable tool to keep track of project timelines and deadlines. Check it out here: How to create a Gantt Chart.

I've also been busy getting the most of this internship during the last few weeks I have left. I'm a big advocate of diversifying skill sets and accumulating as much knowledge as I possibly can because you never know when it will come handy. Sure, I have no interest in zoning law or utility franchisee fees, but what can I gain from what I am doing that can help me in the future. You never really know, so learn as much as you can and take every opportunity to expand your skills. Look past the mundane, tedious tasks and projects to see what this can really teach you in other aspects of your life and career path.

Besides the two projects I'm working on, I'm also meeting with people from purchasing to event planning. Again, I want to learn as much as I can and extend my networking circle while I have the ability to do so here during this internship. It never hurts to ask and you will be surprised how many people are willing to help you when they see you're willing to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about the disqualification on NPR the other day. I understand that it is important for tribes to preserve their culture but in today's society it is a very challenging. I am from the Ak-Chin Indian Community where members over 45 are very fluent in the language but the younger generation barely knows a few words. There are language programs in place but their success has yet to be seen. The thought of the native language from tribes being lost is a very sad on but if no action or improvement is seen soon then it could very well be gone within two-three generations.

    ReplyDelete