Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ahéhee': Thanksgiving

The Long Walk: The Navajo people being forcefully removed from their homeland
Thanksgiving has always been a difficult holiday for me to celebrate. As a Native American, I can't help but wince when I see thanksgiving pageants celebrating the first Thanksgiving between "Indians" and pilgrims.  I see children in paper Indian headband cutouts and run around making the "whooping" noise with their mouths. It's an unpleasant reminder that for many Americans, indigenous people have vanished with the dinosaurs or hidden in the pages of history textbooks with Christopher Columbus and Cortez. Yet, we are still here-vibrant, proud, and alive. So, while I do celebrate Thanksgiving, I give thanks to my ancestors who overcame genocide, assimilation, and acculturation so I can stand here today and continue working toward the betterment of my people. I give thanks to their dedication and tenacity to defy the odds and providing hope for the 7th generation. Ahéhee' (Thank you in Navajo). 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke,
    Unfortunately Fairytale Town will not let you in without a child. Let me know your last name and I will set something up for you. When do you plan on going? Just e-mail me. Good job on our internship! Dara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    I can definitely see how you have such conflicting feelings about Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am not Native American, I understand how difficult it is to celebrate Thanksgiving. I think more people are learning and realizing what colonization did and how it affected North America.

    ReplyDelete