Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Welcome to the Town of Gilbert

Yá'át'ééh! Hello! My name is Brooke Wheeler. 
I recently became the American Indian Management intern for the Town of Gilbert's Office of Intergovernmental Affairs. I have to say, I'm pretty excited to be here. Most of my experience has been in the nonprofit sector more specifically in the museum field. I just recently finished an internship with the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian this past summer and I have also interned with the Sitka Historical Society Museum in Sitka, Alaska; the Arizona Historical Society Museum in Tempe, AZ; the National Archives in Washington, DC and Seattle, WA; and the Pueblo Grande Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. My goal is to eventually work for the NMAI to build partnerships between tribal/federal governments and the museum.

Since, this internship with the Town of Gilbert will be my first experience working with a local municipality, I look forward to learning as much as I can about local government, intergovernmental relations, and building upon the skills and knowledge I will need to foster collaborative relationships between public and nonprofit organizations. My goals are to build upon my coursework at ASU through the real work experience working at the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs; understand the dynamics of public policy from idea to implementation; and understand various ways different municipalities address social issues and community needs.

As I said, I'm really excited to intern at the Town of Gilbert. My internship supervisors are Leah Hubbard, the Director of Intergovernmental Affairs and Heather Wilkey, the Management Support Analyst for the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs. I also work with Kurt Sharp the Special Assistant to the Mayor. They have been nothing but delightful and accommodating. I received a warm welcome from the all the staff and everyone I have met so far. Plus, check out my office!! I was astonished by the sheer size and lovely decor.



Just as a side note, I love photography, so I most likely will post pictures of my day-to-day meetings, desk work, lunches, and other fun experiences here at the Town of Gilbert.

Anyhow, I have much more to write but I must jet to a meeting (Yes!). I can't wait to start my internship and engross myself in all that there is to learn here at the Town of Gilbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment