Friday, September 19, 2014

Meeting with my advisor...dun dun duuuuuuun!

Ok. So it's not that scary, but I was pretty freaked out at the time I went ot see my advisor, Stephanie Alvery. Basically, I need to know if I was heading down the current career course for my desired profession: 1) Become a Museum Director of an American Indian Museum 2) Work in the Nonprofit/Public sector as a Director working with American Indian Communities.

Now, I'm already in my second year of graduate school and I noticed the MPA-NP concentration program places more emphasis on public administration rather than nonprofit administration, and I was wondering if I had made the career move. Do I stay in the MPA program or do I switch over the Nonprofit Studies program which is not under the Public Affairs school of ASU. Stephanie and I sat down to talk about my career goals and we came to the conclusion that I should stay in the MPA program for the following reasons:

1) If I plan to work for a museum like the Smithsonian (which is public partnership museum) then knowing the ends and outs of public administration is an added benefit rather than a disadvantage
2) I'm more marketable with a dual degree rather one degree in one specific area. Therefore, I can work in both sectors if needs be.

So all in all, everything smoothed over and I'm right where I belong.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brooke! I know how stressful meeting with your advisor can be especially when you're trying to decide on what is best for your career path! Stephanie is awesome though. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete