Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Town of Gilbert Volunteer Corp





One of the last projects I've had the pleasure working on during my time in Gilbert was to interview the volunteer coordinators for Parks and Rec, Police, and Fire in order to understand the collaborative partnerships between the town and nonprofit/faith based communities. One of my primary interest in working with the public sector is the collaborative partnerships between local government and nonprofit organizations. Therefore, I was delighted to learn more about the Town of Gilbert Volunteer services to facilitate my own interest in working in this area. Let me tell you, the Town of Gilbert has a very robust volunteer corp made up of passionate citizens and staff willing to go the extra mile for those in need. I was in awe by the sheer selflessness and vigor each volunteer approached their duties and responsibilities.



In my nonprofit classes, I learned volunteerism channels a citizens altruistic needs to solve social problems as well as build social cohesion with other community members. Citizens of Gilbert engage town volunteer services to care for the environment (Park clean up and recycling drives), help individuals in crisis (food boxes, counseling services, helping the homeless, etc) and create a safe community for all citizens (fire alarm check ups, ride along with officers, CPR training classes, safety education, school events). Some programs have volunteers who work 20 hours a week and are on call 24/7-365. The average retention rate for a fire volunteer is 3-5 years, when the national average is 1-2 years. That is how much the citizens of Gilbert love their community and helping others in need.

In addition to learning about the volunteers, I was able to meet the dedicated volunteer coordinators who run the volunteer programs as Parks and Rec, Fire, and Police. Let me tell you, I had no idea about volunteer coordination or the amount of work it takes to manage a robust volunteer corp. Not only do they work extra hard to recruit, train, and retain volunteers, but they also go above and beyond to recognize each and every one of them and the hard work they do. Over at the Fire Department, the coordinator, Kim Yonda-Lead, has created these "You've been spotted" appreciation cards she presents to volunteers who work extra hard at their jobs. They even have volunteer appreciation dinners and events. I love organizations that not only give back to their communities, but also shows every individual how special they are to the organization. That's what human services and community outreach is all about-making individuals feel connected and appreciated.


Last but not least, I got to meet the Fire dog, Spring, who is the most adorable lab I've ever met. She was initially a seeing eye dog, but failed to complete the program due to inability to resist food. The Fire Department adopted her as their Fire Dog and she's been with them ever since. Isn't she adorable?!







3 comments:

  1. First off, that is such an adorable dog. Volunteering (or citizen engagement) is so important in local communities and I'm glad that it exists in Gilbert. Volunteering allows local citizens to be involved and aware of everything that's happening in their community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I just stumbled on your blog today as of my procrastination! It's so... nice. Neatly organized, and graphically stimulating to the eyes!

    Cool. Also, very adorable dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pictures in your blog. I was amaze how organize your blog is and it shows you put in a lot of time to make it perfect. Good work.

    ReplyDelete